Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Finally!

Thursday night was so great. The drive to Nashville, parking with the same guy from last year, walking to the Arena, and finally in the seats for the season. It was exciting to just see the ice after such a long off-season. I forgot how excited I get when the boys skate out of the big Pred head!

The 3rd jerseys look SWEET!!! Can't wait to get mine. I had a good laugh at the sight of Erat "modeling" the new sweater. I call him "Prima Ballerina", so seeing him model wasn't a stretch for me. Seeing Legwand "model" was funny to me, as my nickname for him is "Captain Caveman". Joel Ward did a fine job, but I don't have a nickname for him yet.

The game was awesome, even if it was just a pre-season game. Didn't see many of the Atlanta starters, and I kind of thought they hung Drew McIntyre out to dry. Colin Wilson looked very comfortable out there, and looked like he was having a blast! The Sully-Arnott-Dumont line looked great as well. Ryan Ellis didn't do much, but he looked like he was having fun too. I was impressed with Arnott coming in to back up Shea, not like he needed it, but we don't need him hurt. Cody Franson unfortunately took the worst of his skirmish, but it was exciting to see a fight on night one. Nice to get the shutout win on the first night at home. It was also great to run into some of the friends we made last season. It felt like a big family reunion. A lot can happen in the off-season..... Congratulations to Jamie & Melissa who are expecting TRIPLETS!!!


Not much time to digest Thursday night's game, as the Preds met up with the Columbus Blue Jackets on Saturday night. There is not a lot of love lost between the two teams, which usually makes for a great game. Before the game, there was word that some of the Jackets had it out for Jordin Tootoo that night, so I was expecting a show.

In my opinion, Triston Grant got screwed. I mean, how do you Superman tackle someone from behind and not get penalized? The refs heard it from the crowd, though. Then, the scariest thing I had ever seen. True to the rumors, it was time to brawl. Now, I love hockey fights as much as the next girl (ok, so most girls probably don't like it, but anyway), but what happened Saturday night scared me pretty bad. Tom Sestito decided it was time to challenge Jordin, and you could see the two of them jawing at each other before the face-off. As soon as the puck dropped, it was on. Looked to me that Sestito was going to get the better of Toots, as he is somewhat bigger, but as usual, Toots got a few good punches in and was in control. The crowd was going crazy, until all of a sudden Sestito hit the ice with the back of his helmetless head and didn't move. I've never heard the crowd go from so loud to so quiet. Sestito lay there motionless for what seemed like an eternity. Finally he was helped off the ice by his teammates. I don't like the Jackets, but I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Pekka looked a little rusty, but I think Dan did a great job. The game was chippy from the get go, and I thought RJ Umberger was really looking for a beating. He never got one, but we have a whole season to go. Got a little worried when I didn't see Sully after the first period. Glad to hear it was the groin and not the back.

Looked like we were going home with the first loss of the pre-season (not including the rookie games), but as is the case with my boys, we pulled it out. Shea Weber still has the rocket shot, and fortunately for us it hit the net and not one of our guys (Sorry, couldn't resist!!)! A nail in the coffin to send the Jackets packing for now.

This has been a long week, having to wait an entire seven days to see another game. The break between this Saturday and the home opener is going to feel like an eternity, but I'm so glad the boys are back! Looking forward to Saturday's game against the 'Canes, and of course, my first Meet the Team party coming up in a couple of weeks.

Another somewhat rambling post, so bear with me. Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment