Sunday, October 11, 2009

Meet the Team & Home Opener vs. Colorado

I've fallen behind in this, so I'm gonna do all I can to get caught up.

I attended my first Meet the Team party this past Tuesday night. I wasn't sure what to expect from this event, but was excited to be able to go. Now, I am not the "puckbunny" or fan girl type. I love hockey because I love the game. Yes, some of the guys are hot, but that's just an added bonus. I've met athletes and famous people- all part of living in Nashville- so I wasn't thinking about it being any different than everyday life. I was wrong. First of all, I became very "fan girly" after meeting Shea Weber and getting to see Sully again. I did it again when I met Arnott (ok, so he's pretty good looking- I am a woman, after all!). I hope that when I told him that I loved seeing him hit people, he didn't get offended. I broke the "rules" twice and got pictures with Weber & Arnott. I had the best time. Unfortunately, I didn't make it to every table. Next year I won't be waiting for anyone else (love ya, Shannon, but I'm leaving you in the pro shop next year!).

The lines were long, but moved pretty quickly. I liked being able to go to the tables I wanted to visit. have to say the lines for Weber/Sully, Arnott, and Tootoo were the longest. All in all, I met 13 players and missed 10 (really 9, since JP couldn't make it- but I met him this summer, so it all worked out). I was impressed with Patric Hornqvist- I think he made the most effort to speak to everyone. Kevin Klein was especially nice and seemed to be really good with the kids. Pekka seemed shy, but was very gracious (plus, I love the accent). Shea was very nice (and very tall!), and Sully was his usual approachable self. Tootoo was thanking everyone in his line for coming, which I thought was unusual since we were there to see him, not the other way around. It just shows you how much these guys love the fans. Colin Wilson seemed happy to just be there and was laughing and joking around with us- can't wait to see him in action! Laakso & Santorelli were both pretty quiet, as were Ward (loved the hat!) & Goc. Ryan Jones has got to have one of the best smiles ever. I appreciate the guys for being so nice to me and everyone else, and for being approachable. Thank you to the Predators organization for allowing us to get up close to the team. It was something I'll always remember. I know of no other sports franchise that allows you to have that kind of interaction with the team. Thanks to everyone who made it happen.

Now, on to opening night. I have been waiting a long time for the first home game. As a full season ticket holder for the first time, I know there are lots of games to be played. But opening night at home is pretty special. The atmosphere is different- more electric- almost like when we play the Red Wings. The opening video was cool, but a little long a not a lot of "pump up the crowd" feel to it. I loved the "Rivalry" video before the February 28, 2009 Red Wings game- it gave me chills and helped the crowd get pumped. This video is cool, but not chill inducing.

Dan Ellis in goal again, and I felt good about it. I think Dan is a great competitor and is really going to fight for the #1 spot. The top line looked great (except for missing JP) Hornqvist stepped in and played well with Arny & Sully. As usual, Legwand & Erat did nothing to impress me. (Erat's new nickname= Tiny Dancer) I think we looked like the better team out there, but Colorado was able to stay in it due to some lapses in judgement (Elly- I love you, stop trying to play the puck!) I'll take goals from the top line anyday, and thankfully they were willing to oblige. Arnott with 1 and Hornqvist with 2! I hope Patric can keep it up and prove that he is ready!

Other observations: Hamhuis- what the heck is going on with you??? I hope you get the kinks worked out soon, because we need you! Erat, Legwand- I can't say much to you since no one wants to read a lot of ranting & raving- but I do believe your coach said something about you both needing to step up and score some goals. News flash- go to the net, hustle, quit over passing, over skating, over ice dancing(Marty) and go to the net.

The "Herb Brooks" kid- awesome! I noticed the video has gone global, appearing on CNN.com and NHL.com. Great job, kid! The only thing that would have made that any better would have been if the actual players had been in the locker room listening instead of the in game entertainment, but awesome video none the less!

All in all, glad we came back and won that one. 2-0 to start the season, that's better than the Titans! (Disclaimer: I am not a Titans hater, I believe you can love more than one sport, I just wish both got equal billing in the media) We need to get some kinks worked out soon, but great way to start the season.

Long post, but like I said, gotta get caught up. Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment